Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Come, Sherman, step into the WayBack Machine...

Here are a few more from the Meeks Collection...
This is where it all started. I was the very first voice on KSLU-FM in Hammond, in October of 1974. That would've been before I started my Baton Rouge radio career.
Look at that old Gates board, with the color-coded push-buttons.
The radio studio was located in the Humanities building which also housed the big theater.
On the other side of that glass was a TV studio. The equipment had not been used, in a while, and was all disconnected, piled up in a corner and covered with sheets. Several of us, including Ya' Pal Al Nassar, resurrected that TV equipment and had a lot of fun with it.
I remember doing a comedy version of "Superman" with a hispanic Clark Kent, for a final exam in a broadcast lab class, and got an A for it.
I wonder if that tape still exists? That was in the days before VCRs, I would've loved to have gotten a copy of it.

Here I am relaxing between records at WFPR-AM in Hammond.
I remember our top-of-the-hour station identification.
"This is WFPR, AM 1400, in Hammond, America located in beautiful Kin Tally Estates, a development of Quick Realty. At the tone it will be 8pm and time for A.P. Radio Network News."
Whew, it was a mouthful.
I did a mid-day country show on WFPR (FPR stood for Florida Parishes Radio), for a few months, in 1976.
We also had a "Swap Shop" where people could go on-the-air with items that they had for sale, kind of like an on-air garage sale.

3 Comments:

Blogger freethoughtguy said...

Very cool, in a retro kinda way!

I listened to KLSU in the 80s (as a LSU undergrad!)

6/06/2006 02:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey kevin been awhile dude but im having trouble finding the swapshop on my pc do you know a shortcut to the sight if so please help jbnsr5@yahoo.com

1/20/2008 12:56:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kev,
do you recall a newsman by the name of Mark at WLCS in 1975. He was originally from Spartanburg. I'd like to find him. I live in the Carolinas these days. I was Kandy Kane at WLCS 1974-75.

Regards,
johnhook@mindspring.com

10/17/2013 02:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home